Situated in the mid-western part of Korea, 160 km south of Pyongyang, it is a beautiful city with a long history. It was the old capital of Koryo (918-1392), the first unified state of Korea, for nearly 500 years. The town is on the Military Demarcation Line which divides the Korean peninsula into two parts, drawn by foreign forces.

   It is also home to Koryo Insam, a world-famous medicinal herb.

   The area of Kaesong is a singular tourist destination. In the area there are Panmunjom and concrete wall as well as many places of historical interest and scenic spots. Visits to them will offer a glimpse of the time-honoured history and developed culture of Korea and the tragedy of the divided Korean nation.

   In Juche 102 (2013), 12 historical relics and remains in Kaesong were registered as the World Heritage Sites.

   You can visit Kaesong by train or by car and it is better to travel along the Pyongyang-Kaesong highway. Halfway between Pyongyang and Kaesong there is Sugok Tea House for travellers and a few tunnels further on, you can see fossil footprints of a dinosaur 180 million years ago.

Tourist attractions


Mac Sunglasses Play

    It is located at the southern foot of Mt. Songak.

    It is the site of the royal palace of Koryo, the first unified state of Korea.

    It covers an area of 1 250 000 square metres and the space of the royal palace is about 390 000 square metres. The palace was often called Manwoltae because it gave a view of the moon, and the name was inherited over generations so as to designate the palace. There were many gates in Manwoltae that consisted of the royal palace and imperial palace.

    As the most magnificent, the Sinbong Gate was a 2-storey building where the king and feudal officials watched games and viewed the army.

    There were many halls and pavilions around the Hoegyong Hall, the central building of the palace. Near the palace there were detached palaces and pavilions covered with green tiles, including the Thaephyong Pavilion, and gardens thick with flowers and fruit trees, but in 1361 they was burnt down by foreign forces and now only their sites remain. It is registered as a World Cultural Heritage site.